HostMonster Web Hosting Help
How to create custom Name Servers
How do I create custom Name Servers?
Creating custom Name Servers can be easily done in the Domain Manager.
Before you begin there are some things to consider.
- Are you going to use us to host the website?
- Are you going to host the domain someplace else?
- Would A Records and C Names be a more suitable. For more on this please see How to Modify Your DNS Records
To begin make certain you are logged into your cPanel with us.
- Go to the Domain Manager tab at the top.
- In the Domain Manager, click to highlight the domain so that the right side populates with tabs.
- In the Name Server tab you will have the option to put in your custom Name Servers.
- You can create a custom Name Server with your domain. If I had example.com I could use ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com. The IP will automatically populate with out IP addresses.
- If you are using custom Name Servers that do not point, or resolve, here, then you only need to put them in. Our system can automatically detect their IP's.
- If you have a problem with putting in custom Name Servers there are a few things to check.
- Are you receiving an error message? That usually tells us what is going on.
- If the domain is registered through us?
- Has the domain name expired?
- Is all the domain contact/whois information correct and showing? If any of the required fields is missing you will have to enter that in as the Registry will not allow blank fields or bogus information.
- Are you currently trying to transfer the domain? You cannot make any updates to a domain during a transfer. You will have to request that we terminate the transfer in order for you to make any Name Server changes.
- Did you recently have the custom Name Servers created? It can take up to 72 hours for the custom Name Servers to propagate. It can also take some time for the other company to create them.
- Do you have the correct IP addresses? You can query the Name Servers to see if they are responding. (A resource for that is http://centralops.net/co/ ).If you don't get a response then you will need to contact the company that is creating them for you.
- Another reason that the custom Name Servers are not working is that the location your are redirecting traffic to doesn't have the internal DNS entries (These are contained within the Apache settings usually). Here again you will need to contact the other company.
Video "How-to" Tutorial 140,488 views bookmark
sharetags: cpanelutilities custom (updated 60 days ago)
Share or save this via:
Recommended Help Content
How do I modify my name servers? I bought by domain through HostMonster. (updated 1043 days ago)
How to setup name servers for multiple cPanel accounts. (updated 441 days ago)
Knowledgebase Article 76,970 views tags: accounts custom dedicated multi multiple nameservers server servers
What are MIME Types? How do I create custom MIME Types? (updated 2025 days ago)
Related Help Content
This article will explain how to create MIME types. (updated 30 days ago)
Transfer Domain Registration: When a domain registration is transferred to us, we must register the domain name for a minimum of one (1) year. We only accept registrations for the .com, .net, .org, . (updated 45 days ago)
Learn how to purchase, or register, additional domain names. (updated 1582 days ago)
To setup an email address for your domain name is easily accomplished within the control panel (cPanel). Mail section where Email icon is located Navigate to the Mail section inside cPanel. Click the (updated 87 days ago)
Redirects allow you to make a specific web page redirect to another page and display the contents of that page. Learn how to setup a Permanent (301 or Termporary (302) redirects. (updated 1283 days ago)
How do I setup parked domain? (updated 1046 days ago)
I would like to view the statistics for my website. (updated 1042 days ago)
Knowledgebase Article 128,774 views tags: addon domain enable hits set setup statistics stats subdomain visitors web