HostMonster Web Hosting Help
What is Spam Assassin?
Spam Assassin is a great industry standard spam fighting tool, that comes as a free service on most hosting accounts. We recommend to activate it as soon as you create an account or log in for the first time.
SpamAssassin scans the contents of each message before it reaches your Inbox, searching for words, phrases and formats common to Spammers. The search then assigns a score, higher being more likely to be Spam and lower being less likely. You choose what score is allowed to enter your Inbox.
How to Enable or Disable Spam Assassin
To enable and disable Spam Assassin please do the following:
- Login to cPanel and look in the Mail section
- Click Spam Assassin™
- Click Enable SpamAssassin to enable
- Click Disable SpamAssassin to disable
You have now just enabled / disabled Spam Assassin.
0 means everything will be marked as Spam
5 is the default
10 means nothing will be marked as Spam
Just setup Spam Assassin once, and it works for all of the emails on your account. Spam Assassin will mark your spam so it is easy to notice. (You can even make spam assassin automatically delete those emails.)
Email Filtering with Spam Assassin
Check your Outlook or other mail client for filtering tools.
Unfortunately, SpamAssassin no longer rewrites the subject line of your emails.
Fortunately, you can accomplish email filtering with the tools we provide.
- In your webmail, create a folder called Spam.
- In cPanel, go to User Level Filtering.
- Next to your email address, click Manage Filters.
- Click the Create a new Filter button.
- Give the filter a name like SpamAssassin Rule.
- Change the "From" drop down to "Spam Status".
- Change the "equals" drop down to "begins with".
- In the large blank below, type Yes
- Change the "Discard Message" drop down to "Deliver to folder".
- Click the Change button and choose your new Spam folder.
- Click the Activate button.
Now you can use IMAP and subscribe to the new Spam folder.
How can I remove the auto-delete function using x3 theme?
You can go to cPanel > SpamAssassin and click the "Disable Auto-Delete Spam" button.
How can I remove the auto-delete function using X theme?
You can go to cPanel > Mail > Email Filtering and remove the filter you see in this example:
|$h_X-Spam-Bar: contains "+++++"||Discard|
Enable Spam Box Feature
The Spam Box feature of SpamAssassin can be enabled to deliver the messages to a "Spam" folder. This allows you to see any messages it may have caught by mistake.
Because Spam Assassin searches the message itself, rather than an outside source, it cannot catch every message. Spam consisting primarily of images cannot have their contents searched and will almost always get through. Configuration of SpamAssassin is account wide and cannot be customized to individual e-mail addresses.
Our shared servers do support custom Spam Assassin configurations, please see our Advanced Spam Assassin page for more details.