HostMonster Web Hosting Help
Email Auto Responder
Auto-responders allows you to set up automated replies to incoming email. This feature can be useful for confirming the receipt of mail, or for informing correspondents that the recipient is unavailable (for example, while on vacation).
To Add or Edit an Auto Responder
To view auto responders for a specific domain on your account, please log into cPanel and click the Auto Responders button in the Mail section.
- Click Add Autoresponder to create a new auto responder. Or, find a current auto responder and click Edit.
- Choose a character set.
- Specify the interval, in hours, you wish for the autoresponder to wait between responses to the same email address.
- For example, if you set up an autoresponder with an interval of 24, and you receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org at 8 am on Monday, the autoresponder will respond to his message immediately. If, however, email@example.com continues to email you throughout the day, the autoresponder will not send him another response for 24 hours after his initial email (in this case, 8 am Tuesday). If he emails you again after the 24-hour interval expires, he will receive an auto response.
- Define the email address whose mail you wish the system to respond to.
- In the From and Subject fields, type the username and subject you want to appear in the response.
- If the message includes HTML tags, click the HTML Message checkbox.
- In the Body field, type the text of the response.
- Click Create/Modify to store the new auto responder.
In the message body, you can include tags, enclosed in percent signs (%). You can use these tags to insert information, such as the incoming email's sender or subject, into the body of the email. Available tags are:
- %subject% — The subject of the message that was sent to the auto responder.
- %from% — The name of the sender of the message received by the auto responder, if available. (If the sender's name was not received, %from% will print the sender's email address.)
- %email% — The sender's email address.
Remove an Auto Responder
To delete an auto responder:
- Click Delete next to the appropriate auto responder.
- Click Yes to confirm that the responder should be deleted.
- If you wish to keep the auto responder, click No.