HostMonster Web Hosting Help
Log Locations On Dedicated/VPS
There are two main locations where logs are kept on Dedicated and VPS servers: the /usr/local/cpanel/logs directory and the /var/log/ directory. Here is a list of the logs common to each directory, as well as some which can be found in other locations on the server.
- access_log: cPanel access log for both cPanel and WHM
- cpbackup directory: logs of recent system backups
- cphulkd.log: Firewall (cPHulk) blocks
- error_log: cPanel error log
- license_log: cPanel license log
- login_log: cPanel user failed login log
- stats_log: cPanel web stats log
- messages: Contains global system messages like mail, cron, daemon, kern, auth, etc.
- bandwidth: cPanel total bandwidth logs for the entire server
- btmp: failed login attempts
- chkservd.log: chkservd service log
- clamav: clamav log directory
- cron: any scheduled tasks, for both root and cPanel users
- cpupdate.log: cPanel update log
- exim_mainlog: Exim email transaction log
- exim_paniclog: Exim error log
- exim_rejectlog: Exim rejected email log
- maillog: Transaction and login log for all mail services
- pgsql: PostgreSQL log file
- secure: authentication logs for both successful or failed logins
- yum.log: updates for system packages
- /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log - Apache error log e.g. some 500 errors.
- /var/cpanel/accounting.log - Account creation, deletion, etc.
- /var/cpanel/logs/mysql_upgrade.log - logs of MySQL upgrades
- /var/cpanel/updatelogs/ directory - cPanel/WHM updates
- /var/lib/mysql/HOSTNAME.err - MySQL error log
cPanel keeps the domain weblogs in the /usr/local/cpanel/domlogs directory for each domain name that is hosted on the server. This includes FTP transfer logs for each account.