HostMonster Web Hosting Help
What are Apache Handlers? How do I setup customized Apache Handlers?
Apache handlers allow you to control what Apache will do with certain file types. When Apache sees a file, it has an action built in for that file type, and will perform that action. If you wish Apache to do a different action, you will need to make a handler to tell Apache to perform that action. For example, if you use a file type that requires a special service to run it, such as a file with server side includes that is not named with a .shtml extension, you need to tell Apache to treat these files differently. More information on Apache's Handlers can be found at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/handler.html.
Creating An Apache Handler
- Log into your HostMonster cPanel.
- Go to the "Advanced"" group of icons.
- Click on "Apache Handlers".
- Enter the handler you want to create in the first empty text box.
- In the second empty text box, enter the extension the handler will use when being called.
- Click on the Add button.
- Click on the Go Back button to return to the Main cPanel menu.