HostMonster Web Hosting Help
How to Backup a MySQL Database
There are three options available to backup your MySQL databases
Using Site Backup & Restore
- Select "Site Backup & Restore" from the Files category, after logging into cPanel.
- Select "MySQL Database (Individual)" option.
- Select the desired archive date.
- Select the desired database.
- Click "Download file" option on the right, or from the interactive mouse-over menu.
- Login to your cPanel and click phpMyAdmin icon in Databases section.
- Select the database you wish to export the backup from the drop-down list.
- Click on the "Export" Tab.
- Click the "GO" button.
- You will be asked to save the .sql file to the hard drive; select the desired path, and click the OK button.
Note: This can take a significant period of time, depending on the size of the file being imported, the number of operations the .sql file must perform, and a number of other variables.
Using the Command Line
mysqldump -u username -p database_name > filenamehere.sql
Note: You will be prompted for your MYSQL password. Enter your password and this will export a copy of the database into your specified filename.
If you need assistance with any of these procedures, please contact our Support department.