HostMonster Web Hosting Help
Domain Registry Transfer to Another Person
To transfer the ownership of your domain to another person, you will need to disable (pause) whois privacy, unlock your domain and retrieve the EPP code. You will also need to update the domain whois information to the new owner and give them the EPP code.
Disabling Whois Privacy
- Login to your cPanel.
- Choose the Domains link at the top of the page. This will take you to the Domain Manager.
- Select the domain that you wish to modify from the Domain List (on the left). The right side will populate with tabs.
- Click the Privacy tab (on the right side).
- Click the button that says to pause domain privacy.
- Next click the Contacts tab. This is where you will update the contact information for the domain.
- Select Registrant, Admin, and Billing (or only the section you want to update). Then update the contact information and click Update Contact Information.
Unlocking the Domain
- Following the above steps, you should still be in the Domain Manager with your domain selected.
- Click the Lock tab.
- Click Unlock Your Domain.
Obtaining the EPP code
- In the Domain Manager, select the Transfer EPP tab.
- Copy the EPP Code. This is the key to allow the domain transfer.
Once this is done, you will need to contact the new owner and provide them the EPP code. Let them know they can now request the domain transfer via any Domain registrar of their choosing and setup domain hosting in their name.
Please note: If they are transferring the domain out of our system, the company they are moving to will need to obtain a new whois query. Most companies cache whois information so they won't have the updated information and see that the domain is unlocked and ready to transfer.