HostMonster Web Hosting Help
MySQL Import and Export
Using SSH can be a superior way to manage the files and databases on your account. Using a simple command you can import or export a MySQL database into an existing database on your account. Please refer to our Article SSH Access if you do not currently have access.If you are looking for instructions for importing or exporting databases using phpMyAdmin, please see Import Databases with phpMyAdmin
In all of the examples below the -p will prompt for your account's password. and make sure your database name has your HostMonster username prefix with the _ (underscore) after it and the database name.
Exporting MySQL DataThis example shows you how to export a database. It is a good idea to export your data often as a backup.
- Using SSH, execute the following command:
mysqldump -p -u username database_name > dbname.sql
- You will be prompted for a password, type in the password for the username and press Enter. Replace username, password and database_name with your MySQL username, password and database name.
The file dbname.sql now holds a backup of your database and is ready for download to your computer.
To export a single table from your database you would use the following command:
mysqldump -p --user=username database_name tableName > tableName.sqlAgain you would need to replace the username, database and tableName with the correct information.
Once done the table specified would then be saved to your account as tableName.sql
Import A MySQL DatabaseThe file must be in .sql format. It can not be compressed in a .zip or .tar.gz file.
- Start by uploading the .sql file onto the HostMonster server
- If you haven't already done so, create the MySQL database via the cpanel. Click Here for further instructions
- Using SSH, navigate to the directory where your .sql file is.
- Next run this command:
mysql -p -u username database_name < file.sql
To import a single table into an existing database you would use the following command:
mysql -u username -p -D database_name < tableName.sql