How to Copy a Database
To copy a database you will need to export the original database, and then import it onto a new database.
How to Export the Original Database
- Go to phpMyAdmin
- Click on the existing database on the left sidebar
- Click Export at the top
- Click the "Save on server in the directory" checkbox, and click Go
- This will save a .sql file to a temporary folder on your account.
How to Import onto a New Database
- Create a new database in cPanel
- Go to phpMyAdmin
- Click the new database name in the top left
- Click Import in the main area of phpMyAdmin
- Click the radio button "Select from the web server upload directory /home/USERNAME/tmp/:"
- Select the database you imported earlier from the drop down box and click Go
Note: phpMyAdmin will timeout after 30 seconds of attempting to import.
If you experience this timeout, please upload the database backup file to your HostMonster account and
Create a Ticket
with the details. Our technicians will perform the import for you.
For security reasons, it's best to upload your database to the
section of your account. (Replace USERNAME
with your account username.)
Renaming a Database
Unfortunately, the only way to rename a database is to follow the above direction and import the database to a new, empty database with the desired name.
Recommended Help Content
A guide on renaming the tables inside of your database using phpMyAdmin (updated 11 days ago)
A guide to duplicating a MySQL database using phpMyAdmin (updated 828 days ago)
A repository of information on how you can manage your database by using the phpMyAdmin interface. (updated 827 days ago)
Related Help Content
Instructions on changing the name of your database using phpMyAdmin (updated 828 days ago)
How do I import a backup of my database (.sql file) using phpMyAdmin? (updated 827 days ago)
Step by step directions on how you can search your database using phpMyAdmin (updated 828 days ago)
A tutorial on how to perminately delete columns from your mySQL database using phpMyAdmin (updated 826 days ago)
Instructions on deleting tables from your database using phpMyAdmin (updated 828 days ago)
Guidance on adding tables to your mySQL database in phpMyAdmin (updated 827 days ago)
How to export your database in phpMyAdmin.. (updated 828 days ago)
How to Restore your MySQL Database? (updated 1016 days ago)