HostMonster Web Hosting Help
VPS or Dedicated - How To Restore Backups
This article will explain how to restore a backup on a VPS or Dedicated server.
Click on any of the sections to jump to that point in the guide.
What You Need
- The password for the root user so that you can login to WHM.
- The username of the account on the server that you want to restore.
- An idea of the date you want to restore to.
Login to the WHM
You will need to be able to login to WHM on your server. This requires knowing the root password for your server. If you don't know the root password or haven't set one up please see https://my.HostMonster.com/hosting/help/whm-login#root-password.
- Login to the WHM by going to yourdomain.com/whm in a browser. Replace yourdomain.com with your domain name.
- Once you get to the login page enter your username and password.
- Username will be root.
- Password will be the root password for your server. If you don't know the root password or haven't set one up please see https://my.HostMonster.com/hosting/help/whm-login#root-password.
- You may see a page titled "Feature Showcase". If so click on Exit to WHM at the bottom of the page.
Access Backup Tools
- Type "Backup" into the search box.
- In the results click "Legacy Restore Backups"
Choose The Backup
- Click the backup you would like to use. In most cases you will have a daily and a weekly backup to restore.
- Select the user account you would like to restore.
- Click the Start Restore button.
After you click start you will be shown a page that will say processing. After the backup is finished you will be shown another page that will show the backup is complete.