HostMonster Web Hosting Help
VPS or Dedicated Hosting - Using yum
yum is a package manager that is used to install, update and remove applications in the CentOS system.
You will need to make sure that you have Sudo Access enabled. If you have not enabled sudo access please see Enabling Sudo Access to learn how to do so.
The following is what you can use with yum:
- To install a package you would use install and the package name after yum.
sudo yum installpackage
- If you are not sure of the package name you can use search and part of the package name or term after yum.
sudo yum searchpackage
- To find out the information of the package that you want to install you use info and the package name.
sudo yum infopackage
- For updating packages that you have installed with yum use update and the package name.
sudo yum updatepackage
Note: To update yum you would use update with out the package name.
- Uninstalling packages will use the remove tag and the package name with yum.
sudo yum removepackage