HostMonster Web Hosting Help
Modifying table columns in phpMyAdmin
This tutorial will demonstrate how to modify existing MySQL database tables in phpMyAdmin.
WARNING! Be careful changing certain aspects of table columns, because it is possible to lose data. For example, if you change the maximum length of a field from 20 characters to 15 characters, any data in that column that is longer than 15 characters will be truncated (chopped off).
Begin by accessing phpMyAdmin via cPanel.
- Select the database you want to work with (by clicking on database name in the left column of the phpMyAdmin home page).
- Once inside a database, you will see a list of tables. Click on the table you wish to modify.
- Inside the table, you will see a list of columns. To the right of the column name, you will see a link called "Change" under the Actions. Click on the Change link for the column you wish to modify.
- You can change a variety of things, including the name of the column, length of the field (maximum number of characters allowed), default value, and more.
- Once you are ready to proceed, click on Save to save the changes.
The changes you requested will have been applied.
Knowledgebase Article 43,101 views bookmark
sharetags: databases mysql phpmyadmin (updated 957 days ago)
Share or save this via:
Recommended Help Content
A tutorial on how to perminately delete columns from your mySQL database using phpMyAdmin (updated 955 days ago)
Instructions on deleting tables from your database using phpMyAdmin (updated 957 days ago)
Step by step directions on how you can search your database using phpMyAdmin (updated 957 days ago)
Related Help Content
A guide on renaming the tables inside of your database using phpMyAdmin (updated 139 days ago)
Guidance on adding tables to your mySQL database in phpMyAdmin (updated 956 days ago)
A guide to duplicating a MySQL database using phpMyAdmin (updated 957 days ago)
Instructions on adding a column to your database in phpMyAdmin (updated 946 days ago)
A guide on performing a standard SQL query using the phpMyAdmin interface (updated 957 days ago)
I would like to dump the Table Structure for my MySQL Database, but none of the data. (updated 2137 days ago)
Instructions on changing the name of your database using phpMyAdmin (updated 957 days ago)