HostMonster Web Hosting Help
VPS or Dedicated Hosting - Install a Minecraft Server
This tutorial will help you install a Minecraft Server on an VPS or Dedicated server.
Host your own Minecraft server on a HostMonster VPS Hosting service, sign up here to get started today.
You will need to make sure that you have Sudo Access enabled. If you have not enabled sudo access please see Enabling Sudo Access to learn how to do so. You will also need to have Java 1.7 or newer installed. If you have not installed Jave on your account, please see Installing Java.
To install the default or vanilla Minecraft server, please do the following:
- Open an SSH client and login.
- Create the folder that you want to install Minecraft to.
This can be anywhere in the file structure, but it is usually best to put it in the home directory.
- Change to the minecraft directory.
- It is recommended at this point you verfiy you have Java installed, to do this run the following command:
If java is not installed please see Installing Java to see how to install Java.
- Download the Minecraft JAR file.
curl -O https://s3.amazonaws.com/MinecraftDownload/launcher/minecraft_server.jar
It is recommended that you check MineCraft's download page for the latest version.
- Now open the port that you will have Minecraft listen on.
sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 25565 -j ACCEPT
sudo service iptables save
sudo service iptables restart
If you would like to use a port other than the default 25565, you will need to run the server once to create server.properties file needed to change the port.
- To run Minecraft when you are not connected to your server, you need Screen installed
sudo yum install screen
- Start the Minecraft Server.
screen java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
You can exit SSH or use ctrl+a+d to exit the Screen session. This will not close it down. To open the Screen session, you can type
screen -r. If you have more than one Screen session running then you would need to know the instance number, which typing
screen -list will provide for you.
For more information on Minecraft visit Minecraft.net.