HostMonster Web Hosting Help
Why does my FTP connection slow down?
Some Internet Service Providers (ISP) do not recognize our data packets as they are slightly altered. HostMonster's firewall is very restrictive to protect our users. Occasionally, our firewall does not recognize the connection as a valid connection which is why the FTP connection slows down. To eliminate this problem, use Secure FTP. To use Secure FTP, apply for SSH access .
A free ftp client that will handle Secure FTP is Filezilla. It can downloaded from filezilla.sourceforge.net.
Now launch Filezilla and the following will walk you through how to setup a Secure FTP connection:
It will now let you connect using Secure FTP. Just upload your files like you would as normal. When you need to connect again, just go to the Site Manager in Filezilla and choose the appropriate connection
- First go to File >> Site Manager.
- Click the New Site button.
- Give your new connection a name and select the Host field on the right and type in your domain name.
- Select the Server type dropdown box.
- Select the SFTP using SSH2 option. Remember that this option is ONLY going to work if you have applied for and received SSH access from our support center.
- Select the Normal option for the Logon type.
- Select the User field and type in your ftp username.
- Click the Connect button.
- Type in your password and then click the OK button.