HostMonster Web Hosting Help
Password Protect a folder on your website
This article explains how to add password protection to a folder on your website
Do not follow the steps below if you are using FrontPage extensions on your site. Doing so will break your extensions and will keep you from publishing from Frontpage. If you are creating your content in FrontPage, we recommend you use FrontPage to password protect folders.
Click on any of the tasks to jump to that point in the guide.
What You Need
You will need the following items to complete this walkthrough.
- The username and password to your HostMonster account.
- The path and name of the folder you want to protect with a password.
Access The Password Protect Directories Tool
- Login to your account at https://my.HostMonster.com
- Click the hosting tab at the top of your account.
- Scroll down to the Security group of icons and click on Password Protect Directories
- Click go on the popup that appears
Protecting a Directory
Navigate the folder structure and select the directory you want
NOTE: To open a folder and see its contents click the folder. To select a folder for password protection click on the folder name
- Choose the "Password protect this directory" option.
- Enter the name for the directory, this will appear whenever someone access the directory.
- Click save
Adding A User
- Under Create user, add a username in the the username box.
- In the password boxes type the password you would like the user to have
- Click the "Add or Modify The Authorized User" button
The folder you selected will now require a username and password to gain access. You can use the username and password you created to gain access.