HostMonster Web Hosting Help
Transferring Your Domain to HostMonster
It is NOT required to transfer your domain's registration to the HostMonster registrar. You may host any domain with us by simply contacting your current registrar and pointing the name servers to us.
Transfering Domain NamesIf the domain is not already assigned to your HostMonster account, please first review the helpdesk article: How to assign domains to my hosting account.
It is NOT required to transfer your domain's registration to the HostMonster registrar. You may host any domain with us by simply contacting your current registrar and pointing the name servers to us. Pointing the name servers to us will NOT automatically transfer the domain's registration.
The HostMonster nameservers are:
- Primary Server Hostname:
- Secondary Server Hostname:
Once you have made this change, allow 24-48 hours for the changes to update across DNS resolvers worldwide, and your domain will be pointed to us.
Note: We highly recommend pointing the name servers to us before initiating a registration transfer. Transfers can take 3-10 days to complete; during this time the name servers cannot be modified. If you point the name servers to us before starting a transfer, your domain will be pointed to us during the duration of the transfer and your site will show what is on HostMonster's servers.
How To Transfer The Domain Registration To HostMonster
- Contact the current registrar to unlock the domain and retrieve the EPP or Authorization code.
- Make sure the whois contact information is correct as we will be sending a verification code to the email address listed. If domain privacy is "on" this will not work, please turn off privacy before this step.
- Log in to your HostMonster cPanel and click the Domain Manager tab at top of the screen.
- Select the domain you wish to transfer from the list.
- To the right of the domain, under the "Main" sub-tab, click on the link "Transfer this domain to your account".
- Read the information presented and provide the EPP code then click continue.
- We will now send an email containing a second verification code to the administrator email address. If you do not have access to this email address, contact the current registrar and update the WHOIS contact information.
- Enter the second verification code and click Continue.
- Select the options you require for nameservers, Autorenewal, Contact Information, Privacy and agree to the Terms of Service. Click "Add transfer to shoppingcart".
- Complete the checkout process.
Note: These are a few points to keep in mind when transferring your domain name registration.
- The transfer process takes 3-10 days once initiated. Ensure the domain name will not expire in this time frame to avoid potential problems with the transfer. If recently renewed, make sure it is at least 30 days after the renewal date to ensure you do not lose the additional time added with the current registrar.
- When transferring a domain to us, ICANN requires an additional year be added to the domain's current expiration date. The cost for this is $14.99 per domain. If your account has an available "Free Domain" credit, it will automatically be applied during the checkout process.
- ICANN policy does not allow a domain name to be transferred from a registrar within 60 days of the date or registration or renewal.
- If you would like to start hosting the domain with us within 24-48 hours rather than waiting to complete the registry transfer, contact the current registrar before starting the transfer and modify the DNS to ns1.HostMonster.com and ns2.HostMonster.com. Once the transfer is initiated, no change to the DNS can be made until the transfer is either canceled or has completed.
Knowledgebase Article 533,626 views bookmarksharetags: domain transfer (updated 671 days ago)Share or save this via:
Recommended Help ContentHow to transfer a domain name that is registered with us to another registrar. (updated 923 days ago)
I am trying to transfer a domain(s) from my current registrar to hostmonster. When I fill out the transfer form I cannot get beyond step 2/4. There does not seem to be any "submit" or "next" (updated 2009 days ago)
Transfer Domain Registration: When a domain registration is transferred to us, we must register the domain name for a minimum of one (1) year. We only accept registrations for the .com, .net, .org, . (updated 418 days ago)
Related Help ContentHow to transfer a domain name you have registered to us. (updated 26 days ago)
What if I do not want to or cannot transfer my registration to HostMonster? (updated 1195 days ago)Knowledgebase Article 116,472 views tags: addon auth code dns domain domains epp expired hosting redemption registration renewal renewing
What steps are necessary if I decide to transfer a domain to another registrar? (updated 872 days ago)Knowledgebase Article 202,028 views tags: company domain epp host registrar site steps transfer website
Why does a domain transfer fail and what can you do about it. (updated 466 days ago)
I have sold, or transfered ownership of my domain, how do i give the domain to the new owner? (updated 474 days ago)
I missed my renewal date for hosting or my account expired what happens now? (updated 843 days ago)Knowledgebase Article 203,595 views tags: domain expired hosting redemption registration renewal renewing
I need an EPP authorization code to transfer my domain to another registrar. (updated 981 days ago)