HostMonster Web Hosting Help
FrontPage Extensions Corruption
In 2006 Microsoft discontinued support for the FrontPage Extensions. We have decided to no longer provide for FrontPage Extensions and recommend that you use FTP or WebDAV instead.
HostMonster provides the ability for every account to activate FrontPage Extensions free of charge. We support the lastest version of FrontPage extensions which will allow our customers to use FrontPage 2000, 2002, or 2003. FrontPage Extensions allow you to publish your site directly from the FrontPage application. This means that you will not have to upload files through FTP, or another method.
How to install front page extensions:
To use your FrontPage Extensions, follow the below steps:
- Log into your HostMonster control panel.
- Locate the Advanced" menu.
- Locate and click on the "FrontPage Extensions" icon.
- This will take you to the FrontPage Extensions Menu:
Here you will see the following information,split into three columns:
- Domain - This column will show all the domains you have associated with your web hosting account.
- Status - This column will show the status of FrontPage Extensions installation for the domain in reference. There will be two status labels displayed:
- installed - This means FrontPage extensions have been installed on the domain in reference.
- not installed - This means FrontPage extensions have not been installed on the domain in reference.
- Functions - This column provides two buttons that change according to the Status of the domain in reference. For example, if FrontPage extensions are installed for a domain, the two buttons that will be displayed are as follows:
- Reinstall Extensions - This button appears if you already have FrontPage extensions installed for the domain in reference. Click this button to reinstall FrontPage extensions. Occasionally FrontPage extensions may not work properly. If you run into this problem, use this button to reinstall the extensions.
- Uninstall Extensions - This button appears if you already have FrontPage extensions installed for the domain in reference. Click this button to uninstall FrontPage extensions. If the Status for the domain in reference shows "not installed," the two buttons that will be displayed are as follows:
- Install Extensions - This button appears if you do not already have FrontPage extensions installed for the domain in reference. Click this button to install FrontPage extensions.
- Cleanup Old Extensions - This button appears if you do not already have FrontPage extensions installed for the domain in reference. If you have previously installed and uninstalled FrontPage extensions for the domain in reference, use this button to wipe the domain's account clean of any FrontPage extensions that may have been left behind during the removal of the FrontPage extensions. Click Here for official cPanel documentation on this topic.
Why are my FrontPage extensions not working?
Sometimes, even after installing your FrontPage extensions, there will be errors. If your DNS is still propagating, FrontPage extensions can work. However, you must replace http://domain.com with http://serverip (where serverip is the IP address of your website. This can be found in your HostMonster temporary URL).
Here are a few things that will cause FrontPage extensions to corrupt:
- If you use ftp for anything it will corrupt your extensions.
- If you connect with FrontPage and do not upload anything it will corrupt them.
- If you have a PHP script that has a lot of File access it will corrupt them.
- Trying to make any changes to you .htaccess file will corrupt them.
- Setting up redirects will corrupt them.
- Doing any file or permission editing in File Manager may corrupt them.
- Mod Rewrite through .htaccess will corrupt them.
If your FrontPage extensions have become corrupted, you will need to go into your cPanel, click 'Uninstall FrontPage Extensions' and reinstall them before you can use http publishing, again.
After uploading your site in FrontPage, you will need to use FrontPage when working with any advanced features. This is how the FrontPage extensions were designed to work on a Linux/Unix system. There is nothing we can do to change how the FrontPage extensions work. We apologize if this causes an inconvenience.
Subdomain and Addon domains advice.
In order to install FrontPage extensions on any sub-domain or addon domain, you need to install the extensions on the primary domain name, first.
If you are having issues with installing the extensions, you should remove all FrontPage extensions and then clean up old extensions on all domains it was installed on. Next, install front page extensions on the primary domain name, and then install them on all the sub-domains or addon domains you want. At this time there is really no way to have FrontPage extensions just installed on sub-domains or addon domains without them first being installed on the primary domain name.