HostMonster Web Hosting Help
FTP Setup Using Filezilla
I would like to use FileZilla how do I go about the setting it up and connecting to my site?
- A HostMonster hosting service.
If you do not yet have a HostMonster hosting account please signup here.
- A computer running Microsoft Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X 10.5 or newer.
- The free FTP software, which you can download by clicking FileZilla.
After you have downloaded and installed FileZilla, double click the icon to launch the program.
- Open the Site Manager, from the File menu.
- Click the New Site button.
- Enter the setup information for your FTP account.
- Type in the New FTP Site Name: (Can use any name like "My website")
- Host: Enter your Domain Name. e.g. example.com
- Port: 21
- Protocol:: FTP - File Transfer Protocol
- Encryption: Use plain FTP
- Logon type: Normal
- User:: This is your username. e.g. examplec or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not have this information, you can login to cPanel and view it on the left hand side. (It is based on the first 8 characters of your domain). If you created this username, use email@example.com.
- Password: This is your cPanel password or the password specified when the FTP account was created .
- Click the OK button.
- Click Edit
- Select Settings
- Click Passive Mode, which is found underneath Connection in the left hand window. In the Passive mode settings window (right side), click the Use the server's external IP address instead if it is currently not marked. If you connect to our server and get disconnected quickly, this is the solution.
When the above steps are complete, click 'Connect' to connect to the server. (You will automatically be connected in your own folder).
Due to different firewalls, some people experience problems with FTP. To fix this problem, try: