HostMonster Web Hosting Help
FTP Setup Using Filezilla
Among the various free FTP programs available to download on the internet for Mac OS X, Windows, or Linux, HostMonster recommends Filezilla. It can be downloaded free of charge from http://www.filezilla-project.org.
- A HostMonster hosting service.
If you do not yet have a HostMonster hosting account please signup here.
- A computer running Microsoft Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X 10.5 or newer.
- The free FTP software, which you can download at FileZilla.
You Will Need:
After you have downloaded and installed FileZilla, double click the icon to launch the program. From the File menu open the Site Manager
Enter the connection information for your FTP account
- Host: Enter your Domain Name if your nameservers are pointed to ns1.HostMonster.com and ns2.HostMonster.com or server IP address. e.g. example.com or 127.0.0.1
- Port: 21
- Protocol: FTP - File Transfer Protocol
- Encryption: Use plain FTP
As of FileZilla version 3.10, the default settings and QuickConnect bar now utilize TLS. Be sure to adjust this to "Use plain FTP"
- Logon Type: Normal
- User: Your FTP username can be found by visiting the FTP Accounts section of the cPanel. Please note that the username may contain "@domain.com" where domain.com is your primary domain name. e.g. examplec or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: This is the password that was created with your FTP account. If using the "Special FTP" account it will match your cPanel password.
When the above steps are complete, you will be connected to the server (You will automatically be connected to the folder specified in the "Path" on your FTP Account Page).
If you experience problems try connecting by using the IP address of your account as the host. This information is located under the stats section on the left of the cPanel page.