HostMonster Web Hosting Help
How to Manage Files with SmartFTP
Once connected to a server via SmartFTP, it is important to understand the ways in which one can manage files within this environment. If you are looking for different instructions regarding SmartFTP, please refer to the following articles:
- Obtaining and Installing SmartFTP
- How to Configure SmartFTP
- How to Manage Files with SmartFTP
- How to Transfer Files with SmartFTP
Viewing, Editing, and Changing Permissions of Files
- To view a file, right click on the selected file and choose 'view with' then choose a program listed as an installed program. Please note that any changes made in the view option cannot be saved. In order for changes to a file to be made, you must be in the edit option.
- To edit a file, right click on the selected file and choose 'edit with' then choose a program listed as an installed program. After making changes to a file be sure to 'save changes' so that the new modifications can be re-uploaded.
- To alter the permissions of a file, right click on the select file then click on properties. Choose the permissions tab and apply permissions to your liking. When done, Click OK.
Renaming a File or Folder
To rename a file or folder:
- Right click on the item. Select 'Rename' from the drop down menu.
- Alternatively, select the file/folder and press the F2 key on the keyboard.
- Edit the name of the file or folder.
Adding a Folder
To add a folder:
- Click the Add Folder toolbar button
- Name the folder in the pop up window and click OK.
Moving Files and Folders
To move any file or folder:
- Left click on the item then drag it into the appropriate location.
- A file or folder can be moved from one section to another or within the same section.
- If moving files from the local section to the remote section, it will copy the files rather than move them. This will be covered in greater detail in the next section, Transfer Files.
- Several items may be moved/transferred by highlighting them and then clicking and dragging the highlighted selections to the appropriate location.