HostMonster Web Hosting Help
Moving Hosting and Minimizing Downtime
How do I sign up with the least amount of downtime?
This is fairly easy to accomplish.
Most important is that you do NOT notify your current hosting company until after your website is hosted from your HostMonster account.Here is a step by step guide:
- You need a hosting account with HostMonster.
- After the account has been setup, you will receive an account setup email within an hour or two. You can then upload your files and create your email accounts.
- The Welcome email will contain the Name Servers (NS) info, NS1.HostMonster.com and NS2.HostMonster.com , to point the domain to our hosting. Contact the registrar of the domain to accomplish this and wait until the changes have propagated (usually 24 - 48 hours). You will be sent a transfer email once you sign up that will provide you with our name servers.
- After propagation, your domain should be pointing to your new hosting account with HostMonster and your website as well as emails should still be up and running without any problems.
- Let a few days pass by just to make sure your domain points to your HostMonster hosting account everywhere in the world. You can now cancel your old hosting account with your old hosting company / email provider.
Knowledgebase Article 82,100 views bookmark
sharetags: transfer website (updated 415 days ago)
Share or save this via:
Recommended Help Content
I need to transfer my website from my old host to HostMonster, but I do not know how to do it without losing files or mail. (updated 310 days ago)
Transfer Domain Registration: When a domain registration is transferred to us, we must register the domain name for a minimum of one (1) year. We only accept registrations for the .com, .net, .org, . (updated 32 days ago)
What steps are necessary if I decide to transfer a domain to another registrar? (updated 486 days ago)
Knowledgebase Article 105,957 views tags: company domain epp host registrar site steps transfer website
Related Help Content
I am trying to transfer a domain(s) from my current registrar to hostmonster. When I fill out the transfer form I cannot get beyond step 2/4. There does not seem to be any "submit" or "next" (updated 1622 days ago)
How to Transfer hosted files from old host to HostMonster.com via ssh. Your old host must have SSH access to perform this move. Using SSH to transfer files to HostMonster (updated 1595 days ago)
What if I do not want to or cannot transfer my registration to HostMonster? (updated 809 days ago)
Knowledgebase Article 84,805 views tags: addon auth code dns domain domains epp expired hosting redemption registration renewal renewing
How to transfer a domain name you have registered to us. (updated 283 days ago)
ISNIC is giving me the following error about my domain: Unable to transfer zone DOMAIN.IS from ns1.HostMonster.com (22.214.171.124) Unable to transfer zone DOMAIN.IS from ns2. (updated 808 days ago)
What is the difference between a domain and web hosting? (updated 598 days ago)
Why does a domain transfer fail and what can you do about it. (updated 80 days ago)